|Lemon buttermilk cake|
What do you normally do with buttermilk? This 500ml of buttermilk that I decide to get has been sitting in my fridge for the past week! So since this week I'm on OFCO (Operation Fridge Clean Out), I have to use up at least half of the buttermilk by today.
So made some searches and came up with Lemon Buttermilk Cake from BestRecipes.com.au. I happen to have some lemons sitting around on my fruit basket, so this is a good way to use them up. We love bio lemons here and I tend to get them by bags of 4s. Ever tried drinking lemon juice in the morning? It'll sure wake you up! LOL!
|Owen hard at work! :)|
|Proud little pastry chef with his cake! :D|
There's no such thing as self-rising flour here in Switzerland. So I made my own by mixing flour, baking powder and salt together.
|This cake is just so moist! To delicious for words...|
250 g butter
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
250 g self-rising flour *250 g plain flour + 3 tbsp baking powder + 1 tbsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
- Grease and lightly flour a 20 cm ring tin.
- Cream butter, lemon rind and sugar
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time until combined.
- Shift in half the sifted flour and half the buttermilk.
- Add remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold lightly into the cake mixture.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake at 180°C for and hour.
- Pour HOT lemon syrup over the HOT cake.